Monday, June 29, 2020
Please Elect Me as a Trustee of the Oxford Free Public Library
HARRY ROGER WILLIAMS, III
15 Daniel Drive
North Oxford, MA 01537
Cellular (508) 208-0539
PRESIDENT H. ROGER WILLIAMS LITERARY PRO (In Retirement) 2013 – Present
* Narrated & Produced 83 Audiobooks, with over 10,000 copies sold, as an Audible (an Amazon subsidiary) Approved Narrator.
* Write/Narrate/Produce radio commercials for Brockton Symphony Orchestra; Concert Master of Ceremonies,
* Write/Distribute Press Releases, post online, promoting Friends of the Oxford Free Public Library events.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR THOMAS CRANE PUBLIC LIBRARY Quincy, Massachusetts 2011 – 2013
* Took helm of 78,000 sq. ft. Main Library and 3 Branches upon Retirement of former Director.
* Deeply involved in physical plant issues in all buildings, acquired/implemented grants to complete them.
* Reinstated with IRS & Commonwealth a dormant Library Foundation that commenced capital fundraising.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR BROCKTON PUBLIC LIBRARY Brockton, Massachusetts 2004 – 2011
* Hired to fulfill promise of renovated/expanded (doubled to 48,000 square feet) historic library building by finishing off HVAC and other incomplete systems, recognizing donors, improving security, focusing staff.
* Secured funding, completed $750,000 renovation of East Branch Library at no cost to City of Brockton.
* Helped refocus Brockton Library Foundation, Inc., after it redefined itself to support capital campaign.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR RAHWAY PUBLIC LIBRARY Rahway, New Jersey 2001 – 2004
* Hired to oversee construction of new 32,000 square foot library to replace 18,000 sq. ft. facility destroyed by flood. Maintained public interest while managing and promoting services in temporary locations.
* Authored proposal for, administered, competitive State Library Construction Grant of over $2,000,000.
* Networked with Rahway Public Schools for after school homework assistance, and with Rahway Housing Authority to offer literacy and computer programs for adults at their Enrichment Center.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR JACOB EDWARDS LIBRARY Southbridge, Massachusetts 1990 - 2001
* Renovated, and expanded by 77%, historic library building. Wrote Long Range Plan and Library Building
Program for $3.1 million project. With Trustees, secured $1.8 million in grants and donations.
* Launched the Friends of Jacob Edwards Library, Inc. to cultivate financial, moral and political support.
* Came on board just before staffing cut of 29%. Reallocated resources, recruited and trained volunteers to minimize impact of second year reduction in force of another 24%.
* Maintained healthy relations with Town Government throughout fiscal crises, winning for the library priority for restoration of funding to hire additional personnel in 1993, 1998 and 2000.
LIBRARY COORDINATOR CHESTER C. CORBIN PUBLIC LIBRARY Webster, Mass. 1989 - 1990
* Rebuilt community support during lawsuit against Town by previous Director (thus “Coordinator” title.)
* Expanded participation in Central Massachusetts Regional Library System to enhance local resources.
* Won grants for scholar-guided reading and discussion series. Arranged free Literacy Tutor training.
LIBRARY DIRECTOR PEARLE L. CRAWFORD MEMORIAL LIBRARY Dudley, Mass. 1985 - 1989
* Doubled book budget via grants and appropriations. Expanded reference collection 60%. Increased hours.
* Won grant for computer for administrative productivity, and for network access that doubled ILLs.
* Lobbied for and won new line items at Town Meetings for roof repair, carpets, new telephone system, C/W MARS network membership, and for renovation of Children’s Room.
GRADUATE LIBRARIAN WORCESTER PUBLIC LIBRARY Worcester, Massachusetts 1972 - 1984
Children’s Librarian, Community Services Division, Storytelling, Reference, Selection 1982 - 1984
Subject Specialist, Reference Division, Business/Science/Technology Department 1976 - 1982
Outreach Librarian, Popular & Special Services Division, Collaborating & networking 1972 – 1976
Master of Science in Library Service, ombudsman, Columbia University in the City of New York, 1971.
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Dean’s List, columnist, Manhattan College, Bronx, New York, 1970.
Worked my way through school while supporting myself with night, weekend and summer jobs. College loans paid in full and on time.
Continuing Education: Supervision, Contract Administration, Labor Relations, Planning, and Fundraising.
CURRENT AND PRIOR AFFILIATIONS
American Library Association
Massachusetts Library Association, Legislative Committee
Old Colony Library Network: President
Friends of the Thomas Crane Public Library: Board of Directors
Brockton Library Foundation, Inc.: Board of Directors
Brockton War Memorial Foundation, Inc: President
Brockton Mayoral Task Force on Arts, Culture and the Humanities
Rotary Club of Brockton, Massachusetts: President
Greater Brockton Society for Poetry and the Arts, Inc: Library Liaison
Brockton Symphony Orchestra: Board of Directors, “Voice of the BrSO,” (write/produce/record radio ads.)
New Jersey Library Association: Public Policy Committee
Kiwanis Club of Rahway, New Jersey: Vice-President; President-Elect
Rahway Center Partnership: Master of Ceremonies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Annual Baby Parade
LUCC: Libraries of Union County (NJ) Consortium: Awards Dinner Committee
Literacy Volunteers of the Tri-Community (MA): Secretary
Harrington Memorial Hospital: Corporator
Rotary Club of Southbridge, Massachusetts: President, Club Advisor
Tri-Community United Way: Board of Directors
Southbridge Retirement Board: Elected Member
Southbridge School System Family Literacy Coalition: Community Representative and Library Liaison
Massachusetts Educational Initiative for Latino Students: Community Representative and Library Liaison
C/W MARS, Inc. (Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing): Board of Directors